NAMIP Innovation Challenge for Nigerian media 2022| Nigeria Media Innovation Program (NAMIP) is a 3-year initiative working to increase capacity, generate sustainable and diverse revenue streams, and build audiences of independent media in Nigeria, particularly those reaching underserved communities. read Through.
Apply to join the program: Enter the NAMIP Innovation Challenge for Nigerian media, Winners will be awarded up to $50,000 for their project and join NAMIP’s three-year innovation and capacity building program.
The Innovation Challenge is seeking applications from media organisations that are building innovative news and information products that:
- Explore opportunities to reach and connect with broader audiences through digital platforms and technologies; or
- Develop new revenue generation opportunities or sustainable business models?
Nigeria Media Innovation Program (NAMIP) was Launched in February 2022, it seeks to support the editorial independence of media organisations by strengthening their financial sustainability.
They encourage applications from existing independent media companies, non-profit media and new ventures who have projects that address one or more of the following focus areas:
- Digital native products: New approaches to collecting news and information, and to reporting, storytelling and distribution, that embrace the possibilities of technology.
- Reaching rural communities: Innovative approaches to reach that empower people outside of major urban areas and those generally underserved by existing news media.
- Engaging people in official languages that are underserved: Attempts to engage and distribute content to communities in vernacular languages that are underserved.
- Technology innovation for distribution: New media technology that distributes local news in a cost-effective and sustainable way.
- New Revenue opportunities: Innovative solutions to revenue challenges that media companies face – how can we open up new revenue streams to make media organisations more sustainable and independent.
- Transition to digital: Finding and implementing solutions, products or processes that assist legacy media to transform their businesses.
- Winners will be awarded up to $50,000 for their project and join NAMIP’s three-year innovation and capacity building program.
- Open to independent media initiatives based in Nigeria.
- You could be an existing independent media company, a non-profit or a new venture that is just kicking off.
- They are looking for mission-driven companies and organisations passionate about trying new approaches to local news and information.
- They encourage applicants who don’t have traditional journalism and media backgrounds, particularly from the areas of technology, design and business.
How To Apply:
Once all applications have been assessed, shortlisted candidates will be invited to make a more detailed pitch to join the NAMIP cohort.
The deadline for the initial funding cycle is midnight on May 31, 2022 (West Africa Time).
Application Deadline: May 31, 2022
For more details: visit NAMIP Innovation Challenge.