African Union Media Fellowship 2022| The African Union Media Fellowship registration portal are now open, Are you an African journalist, blogger, vlogger, content creator, or podcaster living and working in Africa or the diaspora? Are you passionate about promoting development-focused stories using emerging technologies, and through visual, written, oral and digital media? Apply for the inaugural African Union Media Fellowship. Read through.
As information gatekeepers, the media plays a role in ensuring checks and balances between those in power and their citizens. The full representation paints a fuller picture of our world. The media is essential in shaping how we learn, experience and perceive the world around us through stories, images, words, and motion pictures.
The objectives of the AU Media Fellowship is to:
- Train and build the capacity of journalists and/or content creators, to leverage creativity and innovation within the continent;
- Build capacity around innovative and transformative tools in journalism and media; and
- Create a platform for journalists to network and share best practices on the future of journalism.
The Fellowship program will kick-off with a study tour and capacity building workshops. The 20 selected fellows will benefit from direct access to various African Union leadership, and have the opportunity for on-the-ground reporting on the AU’s work around the Agenda 2063 strategic aspirations.
Fellows will receive:
- International Study Trips and exposure;
- Certified workshops and webinars with renowned international partners such as Deutsche Welle, BBC Media Action, Hass-Plattner-Institute, the AU, and international media houses;
- Access to AU leadership and policy makers and network with other Fellows;
- Support from Senior Mentors and Institutions;
- Fellows awarded grants to enable them to produce detailed stories.
- Open to journalists, bloggers, vloggers, content creators, and podcasters living on the continent or the diaspora.
- Fellows must be actively involved in innovative media either as a journalist or related field of work for at least three years with a demonstrable impact-driven track record.
- All applicants for the AU Media Fellowship must be working journalists with at least three years of full-time, professional journalism experience or in a related field. Internships and journalism-related work completed as a university student do not count as professional experience.
- Applicants may be affiliated or freelance journalists. However, all applicants must provide a reference letter or endorsement from a senior editor.
- Applicants must speak, read, and write English fluently in order to fully participate in and benefit from the Fellowship.
- With their application, the Fellows confirm willingness to report on African Union events and themes, as well as availability to be interviewed about the fellowship by international partners.
- The Fellows confirm willingness to participate in events and workshops for duration of the fellowship.
- Fellows must be able to travel to Berlin June 2022 and meet all criteria for eligibility for a Schengen Visa in their country, including but not limited to:
- Having a valid passport at least until December 2022
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- They will provide you with the necessary documents needed for your visa application. You will be responsible for acquiring the visa.
- All travel costs will be reimbursed and covered by the AU.
Applications should consist of:
- Resume: Use a standard format (no picture, religion or marital status).
- Coverletter: A one-page document outlining your motivation, qualifications, and experience.
- Proposal: Include the following three sections:
- Story proposals: Include a short description of the stories you plan to cover (about 200 words each), and whom you plan to contact for interviews.
- Publication plan: Specify your plan for publication (language and target publication).
- Social media: Briefly explain how you plan to engage with the African Union Commission in the course of the fellowship.
- Work samples: Submit two work samples. If your work samples are in other forms of media (e.g. video) please email us and we will accommodate these requests.
Email your submission to email@example.com
Application deadline: April 30, 2022
For more details: Contact: African Union Media Fellowship